Bruce Hallas interviews Rachel Lawes
Bruce Hallas is the owner of Marmalade Box, an innovative and progressive information security practice. He has a podcast called Rethinking The Human Factor and in each episode he interviews someone who’s famous for their expertise or unique perspective on human behaviour. In the episode linked here he interviews Dr Rachel Lawes of Lawes Consulting about semiotics – the signs and symbols that carry sometimes hidden meanings and that are present in every aspect of daily life.
Listen to this lively and wide-ranging discussion to find out:
– what semiotics is and how it is used in the private and public sectors
– how it can be used to change behaviour, including getting customers to switch brands
– why people are more involved with written language now than they have been within our lifetimes
– what you reveal about yourself by the way you physically handle your mobile phone
– why your gas and electricity bills are hard to understand
– why there’s a world of difference between advice and rights
– how to design products and marketing messages that will work globally and locally
– why the brand marks of the majority of successful companies are red, blue or black
– what contemporary art can reveal about the experience of supermarket shopping
There's still time to sign up for this Masterclass in Advanced Qualitative Methods. Hosted by the Market Research Society, convened by yours truly, with an all-star panel of trainers. https://www.mrs.org.uk/event/training-courses/advanced-thinking-in-qual-jul20 ...
Semiotics makes brands more appealing and successful. It reveals the shared language of signs and symbols that both consumers and brands use to communicate and make sense of the world. It helps brands respond to social change and social trends - especially useful at...
I'm very humbled and honoured to receive this award, which is made to only a few individuals to acknowledge the size and longevity of their contribution to the market research industry. There will be an awards event later this year and I will share photos.
Independent market researchers: Future-proof your career in research using semiotics. Webinar 25 June 2020
Dear Independent Market Researchers Marketing is changing. Market research is changing with it: this was true even before the pandemic. Clients think they can do their own research in-house. They are by-passing the traditional interviewer. They are no longer impressed...
Like everything else that consumers encounter, food & food brands are made of semiotic signs. You can learn to use them to make any food seem more appealing. Find out how with me, Rachel Lawes, 9 July, The Disruptors, a White Bear Studios event. Sign up using this...
in association with DR RACHEL LAWES Do you design logos? This exclusive podcast interview is for YOU. Listeners said: "incredible"; "a goldmine"; "I'm definitely buying the book". WARNING: podcast contains weed, video games, the adult entertainment industry and the...